Dress Code at EMS
All of our expectations for student dress come from he SVVSD School Board Policy for Student Dress Code which is EMS’ guiding principle to determine if student clothing conforms to our school rules. The complete policy may be read here, but below is a summary of clothing items not allowed at school or school functions:
Violations of Student Dress Code
The following items are deemed disruptive to the classroom environment or to the maintenance of a safe and orderly school and are not acceptable in school buildings, on school grounds, or at school activities:
- Any clothing or accessory that presents a reasonable threat or hazard to the safety of others in a school environment, e.g., sharp jewelry, some chains, etc.
- Sunglasses and/or hats worn over the eyes inside the building.
- Clothing that bares or exposes traditionally private parts of the body including, but not limited to, the stomach, buttocks, back and breasts.
- Any clothing, paraphernalia, grooming, jewelry, accessories, or body adornments that are or contain any advertisement, symbols, words, slogans, patches, or pictures that:
- Refer to drugs or controlled substances, tobacco, alcohol, or weapons
- Are of sexual nature
- By virtue of color, arrangement, trademark, or other attribute denote affiliation with gangs or which advocate drug use, violence, illegal activity, or disruptive
- behavior which is detrimental to the safety and welfare of other students
- Are obscene, profane, vulgar, lewd, or legally libelous
- Threaten the safety or welfare of any person
- Otherwise disrupt the teaching-learning process
When students step outside of these boundaries one of our staff will approach them in a discrete way and let them know that their clothing doesn’t meet the dress code. We offer the student an opportunity to change if they have something else available. If they don’t we offer them something clean from the office. If they would prefer to have a parent bring something from home, we are open to that solution as well.